Tuesday, October 9, 2007

You hold ...

Welcome to the bridge blog. Stay tuned for graphics, reasonable layout etc.

Hand 19 of the second segment of the Bermuda Bowl semifinal between South Africa and USA I produced a couple of interesting auctions and even more interesting contracts.

Rosenberg/Zia were NS and Bosenberg/Eber EW, with South dealer and EW vul. The auction requires some commentary to understand:

(Zia) 3: I have a few diamonds and not much in the way of high cards.
(Eber) x: I have a pretty good hand.
(Rosenberg) 4: I have thirteen cards.
(Bosenberg) 5: I have a desire to torture partner.
(Zia) Pass: My work is done.
(Eber) 6: Back at you partner.
(Rosenberg) Pass: I still have thirteen cards.
(Bosenberg) 6♠: Foiled.
(Zia) Pass: See above.
(Eber) 7NT: I have a really good hand.
(Rosenberg) x: I still have thirteen cards, but one of them is the A.

In the other room, the final contract was 7 on a 4-2 fit, but undoubled. Down 2, against down 1 here, for a routine push.

No comments: